Moringa Oleifera has been used as a medicinal plant for years and years. From its leaves to its bark, you can utilize it to treat different conditions. Here are some things you should know about this plant and the benefits of Moringa Oleifera.
What is Moringa Oleifera?
Of course, the first question to ask is what is this plant about? Moringa Oleifera finds its original home in various parts of the sub-Himalayan region. This plant abounds in places like Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and India. It can also grow in tropical countries. It is primarily used for medicinal purposes. Virtually all its parts can be turned into medicine. It bark, flowers, seeds, fruits, and leaves can be utilized to treat different kinds of conditions.
Moringa Oleifera Benefits
There are many benefits of Moringa Oleifera that you can enjoy when you get hold of this plant. Here are some of them:
Number one among the benefits of Moringa Oleifera is its healing properties. It is used to relieve a whole range of conditions. Here are just some of them:
- Intestinal ulcers and spasms
- Stomach pain
- Different kinds of infections (bacterial, fungal, parasitic, and viral)
- Thyroid issues
- Fluid retention
- Kidney stones
- Heart problems
- High blood pressure
2. Other health benefits
Apart from medicinal purposes, there are also other things that Moringa Oleifera can do. Here are some of them:
- Improve sex drive since it is considered a natural aphrodisiac.
- Reduces swelling
- Promotes immune system health
- Improves breast milk production
- Protects the body against arsenic toxicity
3. Cosmetic and hygiene product
Moringa Oleifera can also be used as an astringent or soap with antiseptic properties. This is why it can be used to treat infection, gum disease, insect and snake bites, warts, wounds, dandruff, and athlete’s foot. Apart from its germ-killing capability, Moringa Oleifera particularly its seeds can be used in various hygiene products such as perfume and shampoo.
4. Agricultural value
Moringa Oleifera is used as fertilizer in some parts of the country.
5. Nutritional supplement
The plant is used as a nutritional supplement in various parts of the world. Its green pods are cooked like beans and can be mixed with rice. This is usually served in many feeding programs that service malnourished children. The leaves can be cooked as well or can be dried as be used as a condiment.
It helps get rid of free radicals that pose a threat to cells. This means Moringa Oleifera can help lower the risk of cancer, manage blood pressure, and regulate blood sugar levels after meals.
7. Nutritional value
Moringa Oleifera is overflowing with vitamins and minerals. It has Protein, Iron, Magnesium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin B2, and Vitamin A.
How to Use It
In order to fully enjoy the benefits of Moringa Oleifera, one should know how to use it. For conditions like asthma or trying to improve sex drive or breast milk production, you can take it as a supplement. Each supplement comes with a specific dosage depending on your age so you might want to follow that. You could also consult your doctor or a nutritionist as to the amount of Moringa Oleifera you want to take and the express purpose why you have chosen this as a supplement.
For conditions like dandruff, bites, skin infections, and gingivitis, you apply Moringa Oleifera topically. You can get the leaves, grind it up using mortar and pestle, and then apply it on the intended area.
Warnings and Side Effects
While there are so many benefits of Moringa Oleifera that you can enjoy, you still have to be careful with some possible adverse reactions when you take it. Here are some things that you should be keen about when you decide to use this plant as a supplement:
- While it is safe when you are breastfeeding, using Moringa Oleifera when you are pregnant is discouraged. Some chemicals might cause the uterus to contract and may lead to a miscarriage.
- If you are maintaining certain medication, gain clearance from your physician to ensure that you will not adversely react to any of them when you take them in conjunction with one another.
- If you have pre-existing conditions such as kidney concerns, diabetes, liver problems, or a history of heart ailments, again, you might want to consult your doctor before taking Moringa Oleifera as your supplement of choice.
- Leave out the roots when you decide to use Moringa Oleifera. It has certain chemicals that might be lethal to humans. These chemicals are also known to cause paralysis.
- Stay well within the recommended dosage. For a full grown adult, 6g of Moringa Oleifera a day is enough. As to the duration of supplement intake, it would depend on your purpose and needs so your doctor is the best person to ascertain that.
Moringa Oleifera is definitely a miracle plant that has been used throughout the centuries for both its medicinal and nutritional value. Now you can enjoy the benefits of Moringa Oleifera as a supplement in one capsule. However, it is important to know the proper dosage to take given your current dietary and health considerations. To do so, it would be best to consult your doctor or a trusted nutritionist before including this in your usual health regimen. This is the first step towards protecting yourself from possible negative reactions after using Moringa Oleifera.