Blood sure runs through the veins of everyone. But does the same blood run through the veins of everyone? Of course not. Even though blood performs the same functions in the body the type varies from person to person. That’s why there’s something called the blood group system. In this system, the blood of each person is categorized to be either type A, B, AB, or O. And interestingly there’s a diet plan for different blood groups. This diet is known as the blood type diet. Well, today we will just be having a look at the blood type A diet. A lot is associated with this diet plan which we will find out in a bit.
Each blood group is indeed unique in itself. And one of the uniqueness of blood groups can be seen in blood transfusions. Some blood groups can donate to some blood groups while some can’t. Well, let’s not go into the in-depth study of blood transfusions. Another unique thing about blood groups is their diet plan. It is believed that different blood groups have different foods that help boost their health. the truth though is that it has not been scientifically proven that blood type diets have the said health benefits.
Blood Type A
So blood is a connective tissue made up of different cells. Blood is made up of red blood cells, white blood cells, plasma, and even platelets. And blood is very important for the proper functioning of our body.
There are surface antigens present on the surface of blood. These antigens trigger an immune response when there’s an attack on the body. For instance, when foreign bodies like viruses and bacteria try to attack the body these antigens come into play.
One in three people is blood type A in the USA. This blood type happens to be the second most common blood type in the States.
If you are A positive you can receive blood from someone that is A positive, A negative, O positive, or O negative. If you are A negative then you can just receive blood from someone that is A negative and O negative.
So it is believed that blood type A people are suited to be vegetarians. Well, that’s because people that are blood type A have lower levels of stomach acid. So a meat-based diet isn’t easy to digest as a vegetarian diet.
Another thing is that people with this blood type have been discovered to be at higher risk of developing certain diseases. Such as cancer and diabetes. This is why their diet is very important. With a very good diet, they can stay healthy and reduce the risks of having those diseases.
Blood Type A Diets: Foods to Eat and Avoid
Foods to eat
People with blood type A are advised to eat more vegetables and fruits. At the same time, processed foods are a no-no. So let’s have a look at some foods that need to be included in your diet plan.
- Olive oil
- Grains such as barley and sprouted beans
- Soy protein like tofu
- Walnuts, peanuts, and pumpkin seeds
- Fruits such as blueberries and elderberries
- Garlic and onions
- Green tea
- Vegetables such as kale and spinach
- Beans and other legumes
- Fish such as sardines and salmon
In this diet plan, it’s recommended to eat proteins early in the morning. Smoothie or goat milk with tofu would be a great option. But it’s important to note that in this diet plan just limited amounts of protein are needed. You’re allowed to take any vegetables and fruits in your meal.
Foods to Avoid
- Cow’s milk
- Sweet potatoes and also yam
- Vegetables, such as cabbage, tomatoes, and mushrooms
- Lima beans
- Certain fruits, such as melons, mangoes, strawberries, and oranges
- Poultry other than chicken and turkey
- Fish, such as bluefish, catfish, barracuda, herring, and haddock
- Grain products such as multigrain bread, wheat bran, and durum wheat
- Refined sugar
- Refined carbohydrates, such as white bread and white flour
- Oils other than olive oil
- Artificial ingredients
- Most condiments
- Beverages such as soda, beer, distilled liquor, and black tea
Benefits of Blood Type Diet
So one controversial topic about blood type diet is if it works. Well, it has not been proven scientifically that this diet plan has these supposed benefits. These are just speculations as to the benefits you would most likely derive from this diet plan.
- Weight loss: Well the aim of most people out there that follow diet plans is to lose weight. There is a possibility that this diet plan helps you lose weight. But the thing is that it’s not as a result of the blood type but as a result of the diet plan. This diet plan is quite restrictive and this could be great for losing weight.
- Improves health conditions: People that have tried out this diet plan affirm that it helps improve some health conditions. Such as migraine, pain, and even asthma. Well, for someone that isn’t consuming so much junk food you wouldn’t expect less. That’s because many of these conditions are associated with poor diet and also hormonal imbalances. Once that is fixed and you exercise often then you would expect less of these health conditions.
- Boosts immunity: A good diet has always been found to boost immunity. Taking a lot of fruits and vegetables helps keep your immune system in good shape. And with that, you are less susceptible to diseases. And one good diet plan we know is the blood type diet.
- Improve mental health: Research has proven that a good diet plan helps out with mental health. Your mood is affected by what you eat. So with a good diet plan like a blood type diet, you would expect great energy and a good mood. Also, you would be mentally stable. Your diet does not only affect you emotionally but also physically. So if you’re blood type A and you want a good diet plan you should try out this blood type A diet.