Studies have shown that the practice of yoga has great physical benefits. It is said that the practice is a combination of stretching, exercises with deep breathing, and meditation. In addition, this can improve the overall physical strength, flexibility, and fitness of a person while reducing the risk of having heart attacks, high blood pressure and body pains. Breathing, which is a simple practice that keeps us alive by moving air in and out of the lungs, has been is a necessity used in many varieties from meditation, exercise, and other recreational activities. Hence, breathing is a vital action in keeping you in shape and stress free.
Deep breathing can make a difference in how you feel, it can help you ease stress and lets your body cool down. With all the scientific methods, technological advancement in keeping us look in great shape and stress free, breathing is just one simple method that can create great wonders for us, for our body, and for our mental outlook in life.
Preparation is the key
Before doing the breathing exercise, it is important to prepare everything.
Find a Conducive Place
Choosing the right place for you to do the exercise is crucial, you can not concentrate if you go and do the practice in a very noisy place nor do the breathing exercise in a very air polluted area. So choosing a place is important.
Wear Comfortable Clothes
Another one is wearing comfortable clothes. It doesn’t mean that you have to buy new ones for the sake of this breathing activity, although that helps you have a uniform every time you do the exercise like in yoga, but you can use any of your clothes that you feel you are comfortable in doing the exercise.
Now, if you’ve covered these two, you can do the exercise program. You can do it with a group, enroll in a class, or research a program so you can follow and replicate the process. It is good to have a program to follow so that you would know the right procedure in executing the breathing techniques. And finally, making a schedule and being committed in doing it. It is important to have a schedule to follow, allocating time in your busy day, and being committed in doing it for the long run. This will shape you accordingly in the process, but most importantly the effects of the practice takes time, hence the results and changes also takes time so be patient.
Deep Breathing Techniques
We can control and adjust breathing which is a useful tool for achieving a relaxed body and clear state of mind. And through these breathing practices we can do calming exercises that helps us manage stress, panic, and pressure.
Used as a first breathing technique to introduce the process with new yoga practitioners. Its objective is to increase energy and alertness that if done properly you’ll feel revitalized. The procedure starts as follows:
- Inhale and exhale, through your nose, quickly while keeping the mouth closed. The breath in and out should be short but must be equal in duration.
- Three in and three out breath per second, this produces a quick breathing that makes your diaphragm move quickly.
- Breathe normally after every cycle
Start first with 5 seconds in doing this practice, it is important that you do it slowly and in accordance to proper breathing method, only increase your time by 5 seconds if you feel that you’re doing it right, which make take you days, until you reach 1 minute in doing the practice.
Relaxing Breath (the 4-7-8 exercise)
This breathing exercise can be done anywhere, can exercise in any position, or can simply sit on a chair with your back straight while doing this exercise. A natural tranquilizer of the nervous system, as mentioned in research studies, because it is a very useful tool in situations that are stressful, upsetting, and even if you just want to fall to sleep. Here’s how to do it:
- Place the tip of the tongue behind the upper front teeth at the ridge tissue
- Keep it there as the exercise is being done
- Close the mouth and inhale through the nose to a count of four
- Hold the breath for a count of seven
- Exhale through the mouth, you’ll notice there’s whoosh sound, to a count of eight
- Repeat the cycle 3 more times for a total of four breaths
The breathing exercise can be done in any position, but as a start it is advisable to do it while lying on the floor with the back straight and knees bent. This is a good practice to develop a focus rhythm in breathing and enhance the use of the lungs. The methods starts as follows:
- Notice on how the hands move while doing the exercise as you breathe in and out
- Put the left hand on the belly, or stomach, while the right hand on the chest. It is noteworthy to know that the lower lungs are associated with the belly and the chest is associated with the upper lungs.
- Inhale through your nose and fill the lower lungs or your belly. Notice how your left hand goes up while inhaling while your chest and right hand remain still.
- Breathe out through your mouth, and do this eight to ten times
- After breathing eight to ten times, the next step is to inhale again through the lower lungs, as the belly goes up, continue inhaling into your upper chest. You’ll notice that your right hand also rises.
- Exhale slowly through the mouth while quietly making a whoosh sound.
- Breathe slowly again while doing the practice, you’ll notice that a motion of rolling wave movement is occurring as the belly and chest rises and falls.
- Practice the rolling breath for three to five minutes.
Practice these breathing exercises that you see fit with you comfortably. As a reminder, these breathing exercises can cause some slight dizziness for the first few times of practices or even you may feel lightheaded. It is advised that you must do this properly with the help of an expert in breathing techniques. Ask from someone who has done this in order for you to do it correctly. Or, watch videos so you can see how it is done accordingly.
Breathing, now, only not help us stay alive but enhances our daily lives through theses recreational practice. Hence, breathing is a vital action in keeping you in shape and stress-free.