The ketogenic diet is all the rage at present. It sure does not come as a surprise. Apart from being very effective where weight loss is concerned, it also provides so many benefits if done the right way. Here are some awesome keto diet tips so you can truly maximize what this diet has to offer you.
What a Ketogenic Diet Is
Before discussing some essential keto diet tips, it is best to begin at understanding what this diet is all about. A ketogenic diet is basically a high-fat, low-carb diet. This means you load up on fat while you radically decrease your carbohydrate intake. By doing so, your body enters a state of ketosis. Ketosis happens when the body shifts to fat as the main source of energy since there are no sufficient carbohydrates to fuel it. Ketones are the by-product of this phenomenon hence the name, ketosis.
How It Is Done
Typically, there are four ways to achieve ketosis the right way:
- Regular. This is the standard way of getting into the keto lifestyle. Here, you have to maintain the following ratio for all your daily meals: 75% fat; 20% protein; and 5% carbohydrates. Later on, we will discuss some keto diet tips to ensure that you are able to sustain with this new diet.
- High Pro. This type of ketogenic diet is characterized by higher protein. The typical ration here is: 60% fat; 35% protein; and 5% carbohydrates. You have to maintain this ratio in all your daily meals.
- Cyclical. This is far more advanced because your have to change up your meal program from time to time. Here, your five day meal plan remains constant following the usual regular keto ratio. In the remaining two days, however, you will have to increase your carbohydrate intake.
- As needed. Again, this is also an advanced way of doing keto and usually athletes follow this program. Here, you either do the regular or high pro as you would but during strenuous training, you have to load up on carbs. Balancing intake is important in this type of ketogenic diet that is why most athletes who opt for this type hire a nutritionist to help them keep track of their intake as well as the ketones that their body is producing.
Benefits of a Keto Diet
Here are excellent benefits that a ketogenic diet:
- Since it burns fat faster, you get to lose weight faster too.
- It helps treat the following diseases:
- Brain injury
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Heart ailments
- It enhances insulin sensitivity.
- It prevents acne formation.
- It regulates cholesterol.
- It regulates the blood sugar level as well.
- It gives a feeling of satiation
Given these multiple benefits, it is but natural that more and more people are now switching to a keto lifestyle.
Keto Diet Tips
It is essential that you do the ketogenic diet right if you want to achieve results as soon as possible. Here are some helpful keto diet tips that can keep you on track with this new lifestyle:
1. Do yoga
That is right. It is not enough that you look into what you are eating. Going keto is a whole lifestyle. Use it in conjunction with physical activity to really get things going. One excellent activity to do is yoga. This is a set of low energy exercises that will not require too much carbohydrate intake as compared to a heavy cardio. Unless you are an athlete who need a strenuous type of training, yoga can be a valuable aid in achieving ketosis.
2. Load up on healthy fat
You no longer have to fear fat. The bedrock of keto diet is high fat, low carb intake so you have to increase the amount of healthy fat that you eat. What are some healthy fat that you can include in your new dietary plan? Here are some of them:
- Butter and cream
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Meat and Poultry
- Fish and shellfish
- Shrimp and crabs
- Salmon, sardines, and mackerel
- Low-carb vegetables such as spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, and kale
- Greek Yogurt
- Nuts and seeds
- Dark chocolate/cocoa powder
- Shirataki noodles
- Work within the 60 to 75% fat and you are all good.
3. Do it in conjunction with intermittent fasting
Intermittent fasting is another type of diet that can be complementary to a ketogenic diet. IF, as it is called, focuses not on what you eat but when to eat. The most basic is to skip breakfast and to start eating at 10 in the morning. You then have an eight-hour window when you can eat regularly. After this period (around 6:00pm), you no longer eat until 10:00 am the next day.
When you eat keto-friendly food following an IF cycle, you can achieve ketosis a lot faster. However, you have to be sure that you are eating enough. Starvation or developing eating disorders are realities that you have to grapple with as you combine these two diets. To be safe, consult a keto expert so you can have a good meal plan while you fast intermittently.
4. Maintain adequate protein intake
Protein is an important aspect of a ketogenic diet. This is the reason why one of the most essential keto diet tips is to maintain adequate protein intake. This is because protein is needed to provide energy to certain cells and organs that do not use ketones. Protein is also needed to prevent muscle wasting even when you have a radical decrease of carbs.
5. Use supplements
There are many supplements that can help you achieve ketosis. Coconut oil, for example, has medium triglycerides that help sustain ketosis. Other supplements that go well with a keto lifestyle include:
- Omega 3 fatty acids
- Exogenous Ketones
- Vitamin D
- Digestive Enzymes
- Greens Powder
- BCAA (Branched-chain amino acids)
- HMB (beta-hydroxy methylbutyrate)
6. Keep track of your ketone levels
You have to make sure that you are well within normal ketone levels. This is the reason why you should consult a doctor or a nutritionist since they can explain to you how to test your ketones. Too much ketones can lead to serious conditions that can be life-threatening. Ketoacidosis, for example, can lead to coma or even death. This is what happens when there is too much ketones in the body.
A ketogenic diet is truly one of the most effective ways to achieve your ideal weight goal. However, you have to do it right for it to be beneficial to you. These keto diet tips are a good place to start.