Fungal infections are quite common these days. And a lot of them appear on the skin. One of the fungal infections is the toenail fungal infection. This is one fungal infection that many people are battling with. And they just want to know the way out. Well, there are natural treatments that help cure this fungal infection. But we’ll be concentrating more on the toenail fungus diet. Diet has proven time and time again to have an effect on just about anything that has to do with your body. So for improved symptoms, a toenail fungus diet is one you should check out. We’ll have a look at the foods to eat and avoid as we go on.
One thing many people don’t know is that toenail fungus is a sign of yeast or candida virus within the system. And just like many other fungal infections, dietary changes help out a great deal. Some people have been trying other treatment methods for years, all to no avail. If you’re in that category then it’s about time you try something new and different. In this diet, the foods consumed tackle the exact cause of toenail fungus. That way you can get rid of this fungus.
What is Toenail Fungus?
This is a common medical condition. Another name for this condition is onychomycosis. It usually starts as white or yellow spots under the toenail. The more the fungus grows in the toenail the color begins to darken and there’s discoloration. At the same time, the nails begin to crumble at the edges. It usually affects different toenails and not just one.
If this condition isn’t bothering you, then you might not need any treatment. But if it causes pain and is thick medical attention is needed. There are several natural treatments you can opt for. But the sad thing though is that it can still recur even after treatment.
These are some of the signs and symptoms associated with this condition:
- Nail changes color and becomes brittle
- Nails either become soft and break easily or harden and change shape
- There’s pain around the nails
- Nail detaches from either the nail bed or skin
- White patches form on the nail
The cause of this condition is an imbalance between the good and bad bacteria in the body. so poor gut health increases the risk of having this condition.
Here are some of the possible causes of the condition:
- Coming in contact with the fungus
- Athlete’s foot
- Wearing tight and dirty shoes
- Damaged nail beds
- Weakened immune system
Toenail fungus diet
When it comes to getting rid of toenail fungus, diet is paramount. Consume foods that are bad for the health of the fungus. And avoid foods that would boost the energy of the fungus.
In dealing with toenail fungus there are three important steps. They are:
- Cutting off consumption of sugar
- Eating beneficial goods that help increase the population of good bacteria
- Eating more fiber, protein, and healthy fats
These are some of the foods you get to eat enough when on this diet.
- Colorful vegetables: They are nutrient-packed. They contain the needed vitamins and minerals needed for healing your gut. At the same time, they help boost your immune system. That way your body would be able to combat the fungus with ease.
- Fermented foods: Probiotics are great options for improving gut health. They help replace good bacteria in the gut. Thus creating a balance in the gut. Probiotics also help control the amount of yeast in the body. And also enhances your immune system. Some of the foods you can opt for are kefir, kimchi, kombucha, and yogurt.
- Vegetable juices: Green vegetables are great for improving the body’s immune response. They also help flush out toxins and bacteria away from the gut. While preparing the vegetable juice to avoid adding sugars and even fruits. Stick too fresh vegetables. Well, as a substitute you can add organic stevia to your juice.
- Healthy fats: Such as flaxseed, coconut oil, and chia seeds. Flax seeds and chia seeds are well-known for their antifungal property. Coconut oil as well as a good antibiotic and antimicrobial food. This way they can help with dealing with the fungus.
- Cinnamon, garlic, and turmeric: These three are great for dealing with bacterial infections, viral infections, and also dealing with poor gut health.
- Cranberry juice: Make sure it’s unsweetened. This juice makes the environment unbearable for the fungus to live. With this juice, you can get rid of toenail fungus.
High-quality proteins from grass-fed animals, egg,s, and fish
Foods to avoid
- Sugar: All forms of sugar should be avoided. And that’s because yeast feeds on sugar. So with sugar, they can grow a lot better.
- Grains: Grains are usually being broken down into smaller sugar molecules. And this helps feed the yeast and bacteria. Even whole grains such as rice, quinoa, and oats would still worsen symptoms. Avoid refined grains at all costs.
- Fruits or fruit juices: Yeah, it’s true fruits are good for the body. But they are high in sugar. And with high sugar content, bad bacteria and yeast would keep growing. This in the end can worsen symptoms that come with toenail fungus.
- Alcohol: This should be avoided as much as you can. That’s because alcohol helps produce more yeast. At the same time, they are also rich in sugar.
- Foods that contain allergens: Some fungal infections are a result of food allergies. So avoid foods that can cause a sensitive reaction. Some of the foods include dairy, wheat, and other gluten-containing foods. Stay away from these foods while following this diet. This is to help prevent any further reactions in the body.
This diet sure doesn’t seem simple. But bear in mind that many people have been able to pull through with it. This is not a diet that would last a lifetime. Probably a few months would do to get rid of toenail fungus. Always remember that this diet has worked for many. And yours wouldn’t be any different. So don’t be afraid to try out the toenail fungus diet.