What is a fruitarian diet? Is it similar to a vegan diet? Is it easy to follow? These and many more are questions people ask concerning the fruitarian diet. From its name, you can tell that it’s a diet that focuses mainly on the consumption of fruits. And people that follow this diet are known as fruitarians. A strict fruitarian eats about 90% of fruits in the diet. While regular fruitarians just consume 50-75% of fruits in the diet. There are other foods that a fruitarian can eat apart from fruits. We’ll be having a look at them as we go on.
A fruitarian diet is one of the many fad diets in town. This diet is known to be a form of a vegan diet. But some believe that this diet is a bit extreme. We all love fruits. But basing your diet simply on fruits can be a bit too much. Also, it’s not considered healthy and safe. And that’s because this diet can’t offer the nutrients needed. In the end, it leads to other health conditions. But even with this, a fruitarian diet is also known to have some benefits. We’ll also have a look at these benefits as we go on.
What is a Fruitarian Diet?
As you already know, fruitarians live solely on fruits. Not just any fruit but raw fruits. They also include foods like nuts and seeds in their diet. But meats and grains are not allowed in this diet. Well, vegetables like avocado, tomatoes, and cucumbers are also eaten. And they are good sources of fat. While nuts and seeds help out by providing protein.
Even these people want to be sure that a fruitarian diet is healthy before they dabble into it. The truth is that this diet is very restrictive. And because of this, it’s usually not balanced.
Fruits and vegetables are indeed very important for healthy living. You advised taking at least 5 portions of fruits in a day. And many of us don’t eat that many fruits daily. Fruits are good sources of antioxidants. And they help out with reducing inflammation. They are also rich in vitamins and minerals. But that’s just about all you get.
Strict fruitarians are likely to be deficient in a lot of nutrients. There are chances of having low levels of vitamin B12, calcium, iron, and vitamin D. The not so good part about this is that deficiency in these nutrients can lead to other health conditions. For instance, low levels of iron can lead to iron-deficiency anemia. And low levels of calcium can lead to weak bones.
Also, a fruitarian consumes very little amount of fat and protein. This automatically implies that the level of protein and fatty acids in the body would below. And when they are low they could impair growth and also repair the body. Also, low levels of protein and fatty acids can cause improper functioning of the immune system.
A fruitarian diet isn’t the type you do for a long period. It’s mainly for short term basis. With the foods included in this diet, you’re at high risk of being malnourished. Also, consuming so many fruits comes with some risks that we would be looking at later.
In a fruitarian diet, you’re allowed to take as many fruits as you want. But there are some rules you have to follow. First, you have to wait for an hour thirty minutes to take a different fruit. So if you consume an apple right now you have to wait for another hour and thirty minutes to consume a banana. Also, you must consume more raw fruits and very little dried fruits.
These are some fruits you can consume just about any time of the day.
- Fully ripe avocado
- Lemon juice
- Raw nuts
You must talk to your doctor or dietitian before opting for a fruitarian diet. They are in the best position to guide you as to whether this diet is suitable for you.
Benefits and Risks of a Fruitarian Diet
- Fruits are good sources of fiber. And consuming enough fiber helps out with bowel movements. At the same time, they also help reduce the level of cholesterol in the body.
- Fruits are good options when it comes to improving the immune system. Fruits together with vegetables do amazing things with our immune system. They boost the immune system and make you less susceptible to illnesses.
- Fruits are also good sources of antioxidants. Antioxidants work great when it comes to reducing the number of free radicals found in the body. Also, they help reduce inflammation. With this, they help improve symptoms of a lot of illnesses.
- Nutritional deficiencies: This is quite glaring. Just a small range of food is included in this diet. It doesn’t provide you with daily nutritional requirements. And in the end, it leads to a deficiency that could lead to a medical condition.
- Diabetes: One thing people fail to always remember is that fruits are natural sources of sugar. And the fact that is natural doesn’t mean they can’t raise the amount of blood glucose in the body. And this puts people at an increased risk of diabetes. Also, for pre-diabetic and diabetic patients this could be quite dangerous.
- Weight gain: Since fruits contain so much sugar they could lead to weight gain. Some say though that this works for weight loss. Probably because it’s well-balanced. But for people that consume too many fruits, there are higher chances of gaining weight than losing weight.
- Tooth decay: The fact that fruits contain so much sugar also puts the teeth in a bad state. Highly acidic fruits tend to erode the enamel of the tooth. With that cavities form in the tooth. L
A fruitarian diet from afar can sound enticing and easy. But on a closer look, it’s not as easy as it seems. And it also comes with a lot of risks. So before you make that final decision, take a closer look at what is a fruitarian diet.